New Screamscape Rumor...
The one by Colossus is a corkscrew. From which park is really hard to tell from a sattelite picture because there are so many corkscrews. The one at the other end of the park might be Gwazi from Busch Gardens Tampa. The one br RSR could be Runaway Mine Train from Six Flags New Jersey. I can't think of another mine ride that's so compact.

Mike 8)
Correct on corkscrew and correct on Gwazi, well done... the one by Pioneer village isn't actually a mine ride because I couldn't find one to copy, it is actually the coaster from California adventures.
That's funny! It looks good though.

Mike 8)
Why is lagoon thinking about getting a comman dumb Vekoma / SLC (689m Standard) when they could get a Morgan like Wild Thing at Valleyfair for the same price :roll: I just don't think lagoon looks out there options very well Frown
The following is just my opinion and in no way is meant to take anything away from previous posts!!!

I agree and disagree with the previous post...

There are a couple of hurdles I see to Lagoon getting a hypercoaster..

1) Lagoon would have a hard time getting a 200+ foot coaster approved by Farmington.

2) The footprint for a hypercoaster might be hard to fit into Lagoons open space.

3) There is a pretty big price difference also, Wild Thing cost $10 million in 1996 while the newest SLC 689, in 2004, was only $7 million.

I think that a full size inverted is a step in the right direction and brings an element to the park that it is currently missing. I agree that a hypercoaster would be an AMAZING addition to Lagoon, but I just don't know if it could be done right now. There are a lot of rides I would love to see Lagoon add (B&M :wink: ) and while an SLC wouldn't be my first choice I think given the pros and cons it is a good decision.

Anyways that is just my opinion, different strokes for different folks.
Voovegas Wrote:The following is just my opinion and in no way is meant to take anything away from previous posts!!!

I agree and disagree with the previous post...

There are a couple of hurdles I see to Lagoon getting a hypercoaster..

1) Lagoon would have a hard time getting a 200+ foot coaster approved by Farmington.

2) The footprint for a hypercoaster might be hard to fit into Lagoons open space.

3) There is a pretty big price difference also, Wild Thing cost $10 million in 1996 while the newest SLC 689, in 2004, was only $7 million.

I think that a full size inverted is a step in the right direction and brings an element to the park that it is currently missing. I agree that a hypercoaster would be an AMAZING addition to Lagoon, but I just don't know if it could be done right now. There are a lot of rides I would love to see Lagoon add (B&M :wink: ) and while an SLC wouldn't be my first choice I think given the pros and cons it is a good decision.

Anyways that is just my opinion, different strokes for different folks.

I'd like to add my opinion to this opinion. Do we really know that Farmington would put up a big fight on a new structure at Lagoon at 200 feet? No but I can see that this opinion is based on past history. While I have never heard of Farmington putting up a big fight on new additions I would just like to point at the Rocket as an example. The structure of the Rocket is about 200 feet in height. With this in mind I do not think that Farmington would put up a huge fight on a new ride that has its highest point at 200 feet. It may be a bit higher than that as a small pole would need to extend up just a bit to add the airplane warning light to it.
just an add on, Lagoon had enough trouble getting the height restrictions raised, they had to dig colossus down so that the lift was not over the height restrictions (by the way it was only 3 feet). the sky scraper is the reason lagoon can have tall rides in the north end, if you notice that anything over 90 feet is in the north end. Peter Freed was a genuis for convincing Farmington that the Height limit needed to be raised for a nice quiet ride with a veiw. I believe, and will always believe that Lagoon needs to become their own city and annex from Farmington. Farmington is run by older people, with old ideals and don't want to see more people come to their quiet little precious town.
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.
[Image: mba-badge-purple.jpg]

Going on a streach here, but I'm guessing you don't like Farmington? :wink:
The problem is that the maximum height restriction for Lagoon (Zoned Commercial Recreation) is still 150' which means Lagoon has to get variances for every ride that is taller than that.

The following is a couple of sections from the Farmington City Planning and Zoning website:

11-25-105 District Regulations.

Building Height. No building or structure shall exceed eighty-five (85) feet in height and no ride or device, or attraction shall exceed one hundred fifty (150) feet in height without written permission granted from the Planning Commission.

Amusement Ride Setback. All amusement rides and amusement devices installed after the effective date of this ordinance, except as shall be given specific approval by the Planning Commission, shall be set back one hundred (100) feet from any abutting zone.

Waiver. The Planning Commission may waive the requirements of this section upon finding that a proposed building, structure, or other development will not significantly and adversely affect the character and quality of the neighborhood and the health, safety, and welfare of the public.

Appeal. Decisions of the Planning Commission may be appealed by any person to the Farmington City Council by filing an appeal with the City Recorder within fifteen (15) days after the date of the meeting at which the Planning Commission renders its decision. Similarly, within said fifteen (15) days, the City Council may, by its own initiative, give notice of its intent to review any action by the Planning Commission as if on appeal.

Stay of Proceedings. Filing of an appeal or Council`s Notice of Intent to Review stays the issuance of permits. The Council`s review shall be conducted as a public hearing within thirty (30) days of appeal. Parties and the Planning Commission shall be given at least ten (10) days written notice of the hearing date. After the hearing the City Council may uphold, modify, or reverse the decision of the Planning Commission and impose any conditions they deem necessary. The decision of the City Council shall be final. A site plan approval affirmed by the City Council shall be effective immediately.

So not only does Lagoon have to get permission for the Planning commision and the city council but the resident of farmington can appeal the decision also, and as everyone knows politicians are going to make the voters happy at all costs.
I don't mind farmington (Lagoon's there :wink: ), but I don't like how the city governments feel that they need to tell me what I think will be fun, and in my best intrest. (I'm about to receive the hate mail) I support big buisness and them trying to improve on themselves, that is why I support Wal-Mart, sure they're building them like 7-11's (one on every corner), but it's the american dream to make more money than everyone else. Thus that is the reason that Lagoon should annex, or Farmington should allow them more freedom on the height restrictions.
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.
[Image: mba-badge-purple.jpg]