The Hypnotist - 2010
Spiral 
The Hypnotist featuring Shawn Paulsen returns for another year to entertain audiences through the use of hypnosis and comedy. This show is located in the Meadow Terrace (behind the Fun House of Fear and Lockdown and next to Flying Aces). Here is an excerpt from Shawn's website regarding his performance:

Quote:Shawn's shows involve comedy and hypnosis. As a stand up comedian for several years prior to starting in Hypnosis he brings his own brand of comedy to the stage making his shows personality driven, interweaving his quick-witted humor with the comments made by his volunteers. He interacts with his participants and constantly takes their well-being into consideration. As a result Shawn's shows are never dull, dry or clinical. Audiences both young and old recognize and appreciate this important difference.
http://www.hilarioushypnosis.com/

[Image: hypnosis.gif] "You will enjoy this show"

Showtimes:

Friday: 7:00 p.m., 9:00 p.m.
Saturday: 5:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m, 9:00 p.m.
Sunday: 5:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m.

This show will run a Friday schedule on Thursday, October 14th.

Use this topic to discuss what you thought of the performance.
I like the show a lot, but I am almost positive the word "Hypnotized" is used so that these volunteers have an excuse when they are acting as if they are hypnotized. It is very hilarious, however, and I hope they have some new ideas for this year!

I didn't realize that it was Shaun Paulsen that was doing the show. I'm not a big fan of other hypnotists because I use to work for a good one, but Shaun is actually one of my favorites. Shaun is also a very genuine guy, and is great to be around, so it translates well over into his stage show. If you haven't had a chance to see him I do suggest you check out one of his shows.
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.
[Image: mba-badge-purple.jpg]

I saw last years show, and I was entertained by it. My wife is learning hypnosis, so we will most likely be seeing it again this year.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but saying it differently would be a dis service to those who read this post.

Shawn Paulsen and his show are about as dynamic and entertaining as a candlestick. I've seen a few "Amusement Park" Hypnotists at parks including Lagoon, Cedar Point, and Silverwood; Shawn's is the least entertaining. All of the others I've seen, including Terry Stokes, were very good showmen who graduated from 6th Grade Humor, unlike Paulsen. Does Shawn Paulsen ever do anything besides High Schools and Lagoon? I know it's a Family Show, but there's only so many Barney and Potty Jokes someone can take!

When it comes to a Hypnotist with Showmanship, Style, and an Obvious Passion for what they do, Tyzen is your guy! He has Hundreds of Shows a Year at some of the Largest Fairs in the Country and Large Corporations that bring him back year after year. Tyzen plays at the Utah State Fair every year and it's one of his Favorite Fairs to Play. Sure Tyzen is a Friend, but he's the most entertaining and dynamic Hypnotist I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Sid you bring up a good point about it needing to be a family show here in Utah. The hypnotist that I worked for had different shows depending upon the venue; for example what we did on stage at Trolley Square was different than what we did on stage for high schools or when we use to do raspberry days. My favorite shows that we did was in bars because of what we could do, the problem is that it is hard to find people sober enough to hypnotize.

I have trouble watching large preforming hypnotists because it has been my experience that half the people on stage are "plants" and are there to collect a paycheck along with the hypnotist. I think that is the reason why many people believe it is fake. Wink
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.
[Image: mba-badge-purple.jpg]

Sid Wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone

Why would you offend anyone by offering a different opinion?

Sid Wrote:Shawn Paulsen and his show are about as dynamic and entertaining as a candlestick.

Hey now, watch what you say, I enjoy candlesticks. lol

Sid Wrote:Shawn's is the least entertaining.

I have actually seen less entertaining performances, but you are comparing him to the shows you have seen. When I compare his show to ones I have seen, his is higher up on the list in my book than yours. Here is how I look at it: the goal is to entertain those who attend and want to watch a hypnotist show. When I watched his performance last year, I noticed a lot of people really enjoyed what they were seeing. To those people, the show was a success, and I believe that is what matters. To the rest of us who aren't really thrilled to see his performance, there are other things we can enjoy. Yes, there are better hypnotists. I am sure there are people who think there are better hypnotists than your friend Tyzen. The point is, you enjoy his show just like there are people who enjoy Shawn's.

skwid Wrote:I have trouble watching large preforming hypnotists because it has been my experience that half the people on stage are "plants" and are there to collect a paycheck along with the hypnotist. I think that is the reason why many people believe it is fake.

That has been one of my problems with stage hypnotists for a long time. My wife has found that I am quite the skeptic when it comes to stage performances.
(09-19-2010, 01:57 PM)Velcro Wrote: Why would you offend anyone by offering a different opinion?
Because my opinions can be Controversial? Laugh I know you, Skwid, and some others are not offended and we can have an informative converstation. Wink

(09-19-2010, 01:57 PM)Velcro Wrote:
skwid Wrote:I have trouble watching large preforming hypnotists because it has been my experience that half the people on stage are "plants" and are there to collect a paycheck along with the hypnotist. I think that is the reason why many people believe it is fake.

That has been one of my problems with stage hypnotists for a long time. My wife has found that I am quite the skeptic when it comes to stage performances.
I was skeptical about Hypnotists after seeing my First one at the 2003 Gold Badge Party and Lagoon Hypnotists. Terry Stokes was "Coaching" two of his Volunteers along, which took away from what their imaginations would honestly make them do, but I'm sure others didn't notice that. It was still a good show, but not as good as it would have been had it been totally genuine.

The only people who Tyzen will have on stage repeatedly are people who he has Hypnotized before, which are mostly his Fans. Those who know him and are very comfortable with him will go out very quickly and completely. You can tell when someone is under or not, and those that try to pretend to be out are who I'm concerned about.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Terry Stokes ... that name sounds familiar to me, but I don't know why. He was actually coaching a volunteer? Wow. Why doesn't he just say he is going to pretend to do a hypnotist show if he is going to do it that way?

Sid Wrote:Those who know him and are very comfortable with him will go out very quickly and completely.

According to my wife, many stage hypnotists like to place a suggestion in those who have been hypnotized before to have the desire of volunteering and getting hypnotized in future performances, so this makes a lot of sense. As far as those who pretend, I think it takes away from the whole performance. If you aren't hypnotized than it didn't work. Just wait to be dismissed and leave it at that.
(09-20-2010, 08:55 PM)Velcro Wrote: Terry Stokes ... that name sounds familiar to me, but I don't know why. He was actually coaching a volunteer? Wow. Why doesn't he just say he is going to pretend to do a hypnotist show if he is going to do it that way?

Sid Wrote:Those who know him and are very comfortable with him will go out very quickly and completely.

According to my wife, many stage hypnotists like to place a suggestion in those who have been hypnotized before to have the desire of volunteering and getting hypnotized in future performances, so this makes a lot of sense. As far as those who pretend, I think it takes away from the whole performance. If you aren't hypnotized than it didn't work. Just wait to be dismissed and leave it at that.
There are no additional suggestions and/or coaching with Tyzen.