Terroride and Dracula's castle... Who built them?
I've been trying to get some more concrete info about the origins of Lagoon's two dark rides for the wiki. Here's what I've found:

The Terroride facade was clearly made by Bill Tracy's company "Display Associates, Inc."

Display Associates also clearly made several of the stunts in both rides.

Display Associates did not manufacture ride systems (cars and track), but did contract with KD Enterprises for some of their ride systems, and those cars looked something like this:[Image: waynescan11.jpg]

Display Associates also refurbished older dark rides with new facades and stunts.

A well-informed Lif member says that Arrow dynamics built Dracula's Castle's ride system, and Lagoon built the stunts. He says that the Display Associates stunts inside Dracula's Castle were probably moved there from the Terroride. He also says that the Terroride was originally a western themed ride.

A newspaper clipping on the Lagoon History Project suggests that the Terroride opened in 1967 with its current spooky theme.

When I rode Dracula's Castle for the first time in 1982 it contained the Display Associates stunts.

I've concluded that most likely Display Associates built the Dracula's Castle facade and stunts and Arrow Dynamics built its ride system.

The Terroride is either an original ride built by Display Associates, or is actually an older western themed Dark Ride that was refurbished by Display Associates. The cars may or may not have built by KD Enterprises.

Also, I have begun to wonder how the on-board audio on Terroride worked, since it is so old, it's clearly analog audio. Display Associates sold this tape repeater:
[Image: amusepak_large.gif]

Does anybody know if that's the sound system in the Terroride cars, or know anything else helpful about the origins of these rides?
Twirling Ribbons 
I can tell you that many of the current stunts in both are Lagoon built, and I'm fairly certain that the well-informed member is correct about Arrow and Drac's ride system. I can say that both rides received new PLC control systems built in-house in the last few years, which brought them up to date regarding emergency/fire compliance.

I can tell you some of the stunt timing in Dracula's Castle was programmed by me in 2013.

That's what I know.
It is a Bill Tracy Ride System. The Rails and Trolleys are the same on Terroride, Dracula's Castle, and Speedway Jr as those on the Hush Puppies. Lagoon has rebuilt the cars and added larger axles to Terroride and Modified the Cars on Castle. It appears to me Dracula's Castle was built primarily with Gags from a Pirate's Cove and Whacky Shack. As far as I've been able to determine, the audio system was the same as that used on WK Train.
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(02-19-2015, 09:33 PM)JordanM Wrote: I can tell you that many of the current stunts in both are Lagoon built, and I'm fairly certain that the well-informed member is correct about Arrow and Drac's ride system. I can say that both rides received new PLC control systems built in-house in the last few years, which brought them up to date regarding emergency/fire compliance.

I can tell you some of the stunt timing in Dracula's Castle was programmed by me in 2013.

That's what I know.
Awesome! Thanks for your help. I think that dark rides are really fascinating. People wouldn't be scattering ashes in the Haunted Mansion if they didn't consider it a sacred place. You have an awesome job.

I'll note the new control system and that both rides contain some Lagoon built stunts and some Bill Tracy stunts in the wiki.
Twirling Ribbons 
(02-19-2015, 09:42 PM)linearinduction Wrote: It is a Bill Tracy Ride System. The Rails and Trolleys are the same on Terroride, Dracula's Castle, and Speedway Jr as those on the Hush Puppies. Lagoon has rebuilt the cars and added larger axles to Terroride and Modified the Cars on Castle. It appears to me Dracula's Castle was built primarily with Gags from a Pirate's Cove and Whacky Shack. As far as I've been able to determine, the audio system was the same as that used on WK Train.

Ah, I see thanks. You're the well-informed person I mentioned, but I see now that the post I was reading was really old, or I could have misinterpreted it.

If either of you would like to add any facts about any rides to the wiki you could just throw any random fact into any of the discussion pages over there.

http://wiki.lagoonisfun.com/index.php?ti...n_the_wiki
Twirling Ribbons 
I think the Western theme might have been in the Spook House which Terroride replaced.
(02-20-2015, 12:16 AM)Brădēn Wrote: I think the Western theme might have been in the Spook House which Terroride replaced.
Thanks. Things are much more clear to me now.

On a related note, when I was a kid I loved eating at the King Quong in Midvale, mainly because it had this awesome animatronic gorilla that became enraged every few minutes. I heard that it was originally from one of the local Chuck-E-Cheese restaurants and had been given a new costume. I was sad when the King Quong closed, but I heard that Lagoon bought the gorilla and was putting it in a haunted house. The next season I went to Lagoon and sure enough there was a gorilla in the Terroride.

I read the gorilla info at: http://lagoonhistory.com/project/gorilla/ but I wonder if the one in the Terroride is really the same one from the Haunted shack? They look different to me.

Here's some info about the Quong resturaunts:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/1898275-155/w...nny-quongs

Edit: I just want to point out that things I heard as a kid weren't necessarily true.
Twirling Ribbons 
The gorilla appeared in the new Fright Mares walk through last fall (by the Rock Chapel / North of the Log Flume). It almost brought a tear to my eye to see it is still around Rolleyes
(02-25-2015, 01:18 AM)jetstar2 Wrote:
(02-20-2015, 12:16 AM)Brădēn Wrote: I think the Western theme might have been in the Spook House which Terroride replaced.
Thanks. Things are much more clear to me now.

On a related note, when I was a kid I loved eating at the King Quong in Midvale, mainly because it had this awesome animatronic gorilla that became enraged every few minutes. I heard that it was originally from one of the local Chuck-E-Cheese restaurants and had been given a new costume. I was sad when the King Quong closed, but I heard that Lagoon bought the gorilla and was putting it in a haunted house. The next season I went to Lagoon and sure enough there was a gorilla in the Terroride.

I read the gorilla info at: http://lagoonhistory.com/project/gorilla/ but I wonder if the one in the Terroride is really the same one from the Haunted shack? They look different to me.

Here's some info about the Quong resturaunts:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/1898275-155/w...nny-quongs

Edit: I just want to point out that things I heard as a kid weren't necessarily true.

That's really interesting! Are there photos of the King Quong gorilla anywhere? The one on the Haunted Shack photo doors seem to have a different color of fur, but that might be because the adding of the photo. Plus it might've been replaced after being on the sun all that time. Maybe they bought the King Quong gorilla to use for parts?
(02-25-2015, 12:27 PM)Brădēn Wrote: That's really interesting! Are there photos of the King Quong gorilla anywhere? The one on the Haunted Shack photo doors seem to have a different color of fur, but that might be because the adding of the photo. Plus it might've been replaced after being on the sun all that time. Maybe they bought the King Quong gorilla to use for parts?
There's no pix to be found on the internet. I'll keep my eyes open for one. I brought this topic up and my brother says that somebody he personally knows purchased it from Chuck-E-Cheese, put a gorilla suit on it and sold it to Johnny Quong. After putting some thought into it, I'm pretty sure the King Quong one wasn't eight feet tall, and I remember it looking slightly like a yeti. I'm starting to think that Lagoon just happened to put their gorilla in the Terroride about the same time the King Quong closed, which led people to jump to the wrong conclusion.
Twirling Ribbons