Lagoon Maintenance Building
(01-20-2018, 08:11 PM)gregwibert Wrote: I'm betting a lot of us agree.

Guest services told Shane and I they were building "something" during Cannibal construction but denied it was a roller coaster or anything significant (just one example). Most marketing departments (Cedar Point's included) would encourage and feed the GP's excitement (which would probably result in more admission sales).

I would like to take a look in the maintenance building. It'd be great to see the kinds of tools and equipment they use to maintain everything.

I've been in the maintenace building during the off season and it cool to see but also looks like a disorganized mess though i know they have a system to keep it all straight. When I was in there its before spider had opened and they had all the spider cars sitting inside there. 

I think they need a new maintenance building closer to the park.
[Image: a2a765f7757b7b989a73bfe9ca7b5196.png]

The Lost History of Saltair -- Coasters Connected -- No Limits
(01-21-2018, 09:56 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I've been in the maintenace building during the off season and it cool to see but also looks like a disorganized mess though i know they have a system to keep it all straight. When I was in there its before spider had opened and they had all the spider cars sitting inside there. 

I think they need a new maintenance building closer to the park.

Yeah, I think a lot of people would be surprised just HOW busy the off-season is for Maintenance.  Seriously, it's a nice break when the park opens and you get back to normal ride inspections & repairs.  The Shop during the off-season is controlled chaos for sure.  Even when I worked there back in the late '90s, there wasn't enough room a lot of the time.  By the time you break down all of the rides and spread everything out for cleaning, NDT, and rebuild, and reassembly... it's tough to fit everything in there.  And that's just the main Maintenance floor.  The Welding shop is surprisingly tiny... I really don't know how they pull off some of the stuff they do in there.  The Paint shop isn't too bad for space, but it's always hopping.  Spent most of a winter in the sandblasting booth one off-season, which was a totally surreal and awesome experience for an introvert.  It's like going into another world when you're sealed up in there.  Never did spend much time in the Carpentry shop, unfortunately.

Hated the grunt work being the noob there, but I still miss (being the tinkerer that I am) seeing the guts of everything laid bare.
Dragontamer that was some good Info for a lot us to know, since most of us haven't worked in maintenance.
(01-22-2018, 10:18 AM)Spy Hunter Wrote: Dragontamer that was some good Info for a lot us to know, since most of us haven't worked in maintenance.

Win

They must have some huge doors to get large parts in / out. If there are multiple floors, is there a freight elevator to take parts up to welding (sounded like welding is on the 2nd floor) for example?
(01-22-2018, 12:04 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Win

They must have some huge doors to get large parts in / out. If there are multiple floors, is there a freight elevator to take parts up to welding (sounded like welding is on the 2nd floor) for example?

There are a couple of large bay doors for the main shop (one on the east side, one on the north side)... around the size of a large door at an auto service shop, for a sense of scale.  You can pretty easily drive a large stakebed truck, JLG, or medium-sized crane through both of those.  All of the shops (at least at the time I worked there) were on the first floor.

If you look at the building from above, you'll see the two-story part that runs north-south along Lagoon Dr., and a single-story wing that runs east-west to the east of that.  The north-south part is divided in half, with the north half being the main shop floor (along with Welding, Plumbing, Electrical, and Machine Shops on the first floor only).  The south half of that building has Parts on the first floor.  The second floor has a break room, management offices, and the sign shop...  might have been one or two other offices up there I'm forgetting, but that's most of it).  There's also a storage loft above the Welding shop; no elevators, that's why God invented forklifts. Wink 

Heading east from the main shop floor, you'll pass through Welding first, then Paint, then into Carpentry on the east end.  Welding has a bay door on the north end, Paint has a bay door on the south end, and Carpentry has bay doors on the south and east ends of their shop.

Main Shop Floor of course is just broken up into areas for each maintenance team, plus aisles to get stuff around.  Pretty much have a Maintenance Supervisor over a team of Ride Mechanics that are responsible for a particular set of rides.  Most of the smaller flat rides are grouped together two or three-ish per mechanic (e.g. when I worked there, one Mechanic handled Musik, Screamer, and WK Train... possibly one or two others I'm forgetting), while the bigger flagship rides like the coasters are dedicated assignments (sometimes by more than one person) where that ride is the only ride you work on, unless there's extra work needed on another ride that you step in to help out with.

Again, that was all umpteen years ago, so some of that's likely changed.  They've added enough rides since I was there that I have no idea how they're still doing what they do with that same shop.  Honestly, I don't see the North Midway Expansion happening without a new/expanded Maintenance building... it's gotta be cramped in there.
Split these posts from Winter Walking Tour. Maintenance Building deserves it's own thread. 
(01-22-2018, 09:31 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Split these posts from Winter Walking Tour. Maintenance Building deserves it's own thread. 

Thanks, Greg!  My one complaint about thread splits:  losing the blasted notifications.  Oh well, with this reply, I have them back. Wink
(01-22-2018, 09:32 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Thanks, Greg!  My one complaint about thread splits:  losing the blasted notifications.  Oh well, with this reply, I have them back. Wink

LOL! True  Happy
(01-22-2018, 09:20 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: There are a couple of large bay doors for the main shop (one on the east side, one on the north side)... around the size of a large door at an auto service shop, for a sense of scale.  You can pretty easily drive a large stakebed truck, JLG, or medium-sized crane through both of those.  All of the shops (at least at the time I worked there) were on the first floor.

If you look at the building from above, you'll see the two-story part that runs north-south along Lagoon Dr., and a single-story wing that runs east-west to the east of that.  The north-south part is divided in half, with the north half being the main shop floor (along with Welding, Plumbing, Electrical, and Machine Shops on the first floor only).  The south half of that building has Parts on the first floor.  The second floor has a break room, management offices, and the sign shop...  might have been one or two other offices up there I'm forgetting, but that's most of it).  There's also a storage loft above the Welding shop; no elevators, that's why God invented forklifts. Wink 

Heading east from the main shop floor, you'll pass through Welding first, then Paint, then into Carpentry on the east end.  Welding has a bay door on the north end, Paint has a bay door on the south end, and Carpentry has bay doors on the south and east ends of their shop.

Main Shop Floor of course is just broken up into areas for each maintenance team, plus aisles to get stuff around.  Pretty much have a Maintenance Supervisor over a team of Ride Mechanics that are responsible for a particular set of rides.  Most of the smaller flat rides are grouped together two or three-ish per mechanic (e.g. when I worked there, one Mechanic handled Musik, Screamer, and WK Train... possibly one or two others I'm forgetting), while the bigger flagship rides like the coasters are dedicated assignments (sometimes by more than one person) where that ride is the only ride you work on, unless there's extra work needed on another ride that you step in to help out with.

Again, that was all umpteen years ago, so some of that's likely changed.  They've added enough rides since I was there that I have no idea how they're still doing what they do with that same shop.  Honestly, I don't see the North Midway Expansion happening without a new/expanded Maintenance building... it's gotta be cramped in there.

I agree. The North Midway expansion I'm coming up with in No Limits includes a new maintenance building.
[Image: a2a765f7757b7b989a73bfe9ca7b5196.png]

The Lost History of Saltair -- Coasters Connected -- No Limits