Lagoon's First Roller Coaster - A Video
Most people don't even know about it, but before the Roller Coaster was at Lagoon there was the Scenic Railway.
This video makes good use of 1080p. Watch it in fullscreen on a monitor or TV for best results.
Please do me a favor and share this video anywhere that it would make sense to do so.

(07-29-2019, 09:48 AM)jetstar2 Wrote:
Most people don't even know about it, but before the Roller Coaster was at Lagoon there was the Scenic Railway.
This video makes good use of 1080p. Watch it in fullscreen on a monitor or TV for best results.
Please do me a favor and share this video anywhere that it would make sense to do so.

Great video! Glad to have helped out with the video. It turned out well. I enjoyed it.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(07-29-2019, 10:42 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Great video! Glad to have helped out with the video. It turned out well. I enjoyed it.

Thanks a bunch, and thanks for the help! Smile
Now this was a very enjoyable video. Well done!

I did not know many of those things before. I've seen the old map before (the one that was done circa 1911 for insurance purposes), but never really knew how the various things in it lined up with the current layout of Lagoon before, so that was definitely an added bonus.

Also liked the photo of the people posing on the Scenic Railroad. I've known of other instances of where there were cameras focused on a ride (usually where the amusement park in question takes photos to try to sell as souvenirs afterwards to the people who went on the ride), and have heard how people pose there, too, so it's interesting to see how some things don't seem to change.
(07-29-2019, 08:27 PM)Gregory Wrote: Now this was a very enjoyable video.  Well done!

I did not know many of those things before.  I've seen the old map before (the one that was done circa 1911 for insurance purposes), but never really knew how the various things in it lined up with the current layout of Lagoon before, so that was definitely an added bonus.

Also liked the photo of the people posing on the Scenic Railroad.  I've known of other instances of where there were cameras focused on a ride (usually where the amusement park in question takes photos to try to sell as souvenirs afterwards to the people who went on the ride), and have heard how people pose there, too, so it's interesting to see how some things don't seem to change.

Thanks a lot!  Smile

I don't know the story behind the photo of the people but I was sure surprised when I found it (I have the actual photo). The spot it was taken from was for ride operators and not a place the general public would normally be able to stand. It seemed well staged as if taken for promotional purposes, but it was found in a photo album. Maybe it really was one of the world's first on-ride souvenir photos. I talked about that a little in the original script but I cut it out of the video.
sweet data thats a great vid
Really enjoyed the video including where the photos were taken from.
I just realized something today.  As noted in the beginning of the video, the Scenic Railway was located where the 'front' of the current Roller Coaster is today.  So it seems (to me, at least) that this means that if Lagoon had left it there and never voluntarily decided to remove it, it's quite possible that it may have likely been completely (or at least mostly) destroyed in the Great Lagoon Fire of 1953.

Rather random thought, I know...
(07-30-2019, 04:59 PM)dajaq2 Wrote: sweet data thats a great vid

Thanks!

(07-30-2019, 05:45 PM)Willenator Wrote: Really enjoyed the video including where the photos were taken from.

Thanks!

(07-30-2019, 08:37 PM)Gregory Wrote: I just realized something today.  As noted in the beginning of the video, the Scenic Railway was located where the 'front' of the current Roller Coaster is today.  So it seems (to me, at least) that this means that if Lagoon had left it there and never voluntarily decided to remove it, it's quite possible that it may have likely been completely (or at least mostly) destroyed in the Great Lagoon Fire of 1953.

Rather random thought, I know...

I didn't go into detail in the video but it looks like the ride was actually owned and operated by an outside company that gave Lagoon a 12.5% cut of all the ticket sales for the ride. There was probably a contract to keep it running for at least 10 years and then they may have just negotiated year to year from that point. The outside company may have been the one to close the ride, or Lagoon may have just wanted to build a ride they actually owned and operated themselves. Either way, it was destined to be removed because Lagoon didn't own it.

Lagoon might not have stayed in operation until 1953 without the 1921 coaster.

I'd love to visit an alternate timeline where Lagoon somehow kept the Scenic Railway and also built the 1921 coaster in a different spot. Scenic Railway would be the second oldest roller coaster in the world if it was still there.
(07-30-2019, 05:45 PM)Willenator Wrote: Really enjoyed the video including where the photos were taken from.
Agreed! I loved how detailed, and professional, the video was! Extremely great job Luke!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island