Working at Lagoon?
So, I’m considering working at Lagoon. It’s just an idea right now. Specifically, I’m looking at pre-season (April/May) weekend employment, since I already have a full-time job. 

I want to be a theme park designer (that’s my dream job anyway) and nearly everything I’ve read about it strongly recommends working in a theme park to start out. And I think learning how to operate rides would be really interesting. 

How hard/competitive are these jobs to get? Would I be overqualified with a college degree? Or not considered if I can only work weekends? Have any of you worked at Lagoon, and if so what was it like?

Thanks in advance. Smile 
I don't think that it would be a problem... I am sure they pay isn't that great, but they are always needing help... In the pre-season they seam to have a bunch of temps
Ah, good to know! Thanks! Happy

And yeah, I know the pay isn’t great. That’s why if I do it, it’ll be in addition to my current job. 

I’ll probably just go for it. But we will see. I’ve got time to think about it.
I've had several friends work the preseason. Pay is usually around minimum wage but they do it for the season pass bonus.
I think last season, with a few weeks to go before opening, they were still short something like 50-60 ride operators. Trust me, if you want to work there, they'll hire you.

Although, if it's only for pre-season, that might be a bigger problem: they may not be as keen to put in the time to train you if they know you're only sticking around for a couple of months. Also, keep in mind that while pre-season is only open to the public on the weekends, there are lots of school days during the week that they're open during that time, as well; I know when I worked there about 300 years ago, saying you were only available for weekends wouldn't go over well. Given the state of employment at Lagoon these days, who knows... maybe they're more flexible.

Don't expect anything more than minimum wage, definitely don't expect anything in the form of benefits (which doesn't sound like it'll be a problem given that you say you already have a full-time job) short of getting in free as an employee.

Otherwise, have fun! If you're really serious about working in the industry, PLEASE don't limit yourself to running rides. It's often looked at as the glamour job at Lagoon, but there's a ton of other great departments that contribute to making guests happy, from Merch to Foods to Marketing to Games to Maintenance & Landscaping. If you really want to see what goes into running the park, look for other opportunities to grow in your experience. Even when I was working in Rides, I spent an off-season essentially interning in Maintenance (I spent way more time sandblasting and sanding than I ever want to do again, but was a heck of a great insight that helped me get a proper Maintenance job a couple of years later). The park may be closed from November through March, but in many ways, that's the busy season for some departments.
Thanks a million for the replies! I really appreciate them.

(10-21-2019, 01:29 AM)crooks.mark Wrote: I've had several friends work the preseason. Pay is usually around minimum wage but they do it for the season pass bonus.

That sounds like an amazing perk! Although I wonder if that makes it more competitive - maybe lots of people want the free season pass. 

(10-21-2019, 01:38 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: I think last season, with a few weeks to go before opening, they were still short something like 50-60 ride operators.  Trust me, if you want to work there, they'll hire you.

Although, if it's only for pre-season, that might be a bigger problem:  they may not be as keen to put in the time to train you if they know you're only sticking around for a couple of months.  Also, keep in mind that while pre-season is only open to the public on the weekends, there are lots of school days during the week that they're open during that time, as well; I know when I worked there about 300 years ago, saying you were only available for weekends wouldn't go over well.  Given the state of employment at Lagoon these days, who knows... maybe they're more flexible.

Don't expect anything more than minimum wage, definitely don't expect anything in the form of benefits (which doesn't sound like it'll be a problem given that you say you already have a full-time job) short of getting in free as an employee.

Otherwise, have fun!  If you're really serious about working in the industry, PLEASE don't limit yourself to running rides.  It's often looked at as the glamour job at Lagoon, but there's a ton of other great departments that contribute to making guests happy, from Merch to Foods to Marketing to Games to Maintenance & Landscaping.  If you really want to see what goes into running the park, look for other opportunities to grow in your experience.  Even when I was working in Rides, I spent an off-season essentially interning in Maintenance (I spent way more time sandblasting and sanding than I ever want to do again, but was a heck of a great insight that helped me get a proper Maintenance job a couple of years later).  The park may be closed from November through March, but in many ways, that's the busy season for some departments.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about! Unfortunately, keeping my current job is non-negotiable -- I need the money to afford my apartment and graduate school next fall, plus it's in my chosen field (software engineering). 

I guess I'll just hope that they're desperate enough to hire me, and not worry too much if they aren't. Smile But if they're short again next year, maybe I'll have a shot. I know that 2019's pre-season application had you check off what days you wanted to work. Maybe 2020 will be something similar. 

And I definitely won't worry about benefits or anything like that. Thankfully, I am fortunate enough to have those covered right now! 

You know, I didn't even think about off-season positions. That's a great idea. I guess it makes sense that the park needs maintenance and care all year round. And yeah, that's true that I shouldn't limit myself. While I love rides, there are so many other elements and factors that go into making Lagoon an amazing experience, and really any of them would be a good opportunity. 

And I really do want to learn about what makes a successful park operate. What better way to do that than to be a part of it?
From what I've been told it's not 1 season pass but 4 for working the preseason. Don't quote me but I believe it's 12 shifts you have to work to qualify.
Whoa, cool! I am completely fine with working however many shifts are required, if I am accepted that is. I’m planning on snagging a 2020 season pass as soon as they are available so I wonder if I’ll be reimbursed for that. Even if not, it’ll be a cool perk.

The only question will be who I will give the passes to. My brother will almost certainly take one, but my friends have basically zero interest in Lagoon. But I think I’m getting ahead of myself Happy
(10-22-2019, 07:05 AM)EdgarAllanPooh Wrote: Whoa, cool! I am completely fine with working however many shifts are required, if I am accepted that is. I’m planning on snagging a 2020 season pass as soon as they are available so I wonder if I’ll be reimbursed for that. Even if not, it’ll be a cool perk.

The only question will be who I will give the passes to. My brother will almost certainly take one, but my friends have basically zero interest in Lagoon. But I think I’m getting ahead of myself Happy
I will always take a season pass off of your hands!
I enjoyed my 5 years at Lagoon. It was a great job. It didn't pay the best but the job skills and friends and a wife I found there are invaluable. The season pass is completely working the required shifts. I say go for it!
[Image: a2a765f7757b7b989a73bfe9ca7b5196.png]

The Lost History of Saltair -- Coasters Connected -- No Limits Designs