Working at Lagoon?
(10-20-2019, 02:42 PM)EdgarAllanPooh Wrote: So, I’m considering working at Lagoon. It’s just an idea right now. Specifically, I’m looking at pre-season (April/May) weekend employment, since I already have a full-time job. 

I want to be a theme park designer (that’s my dream job anyway) and nearly everything I’ve read about it strongly recommends working in a theme park to start out. And I think learning how to operate rides would be really interesting. 

How hard/competitive are these jobs to get? Would I be overqualified with a college degree? Or not considered if I can only work weekends? Have any of you worked at Lagoon, and if so what was it like?

Thanks in advance. Smile 
As "temporary staff," you won't be trained as an operator on any major coasters, and that is where the real insight it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(10-23-2019, 08:40 PM)linearinduction Wrote: As "temporary staff," you won't be trained as an operator on any major coasters, and that is where the real insight it.

They really could put temp staff on Jet Star, the new dispatch controls are so dummy friendly it makes me cringe!
[Image: a2a765f7757b7b989a73bfe9ca7b5196.png]

The Lost History of Saltair -- Coasters Connected -- No Limits
(10-23-2019, 10:26 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: They really could put temp staff on Jet Star, the new dispatch controls are so dummy friendly it makes me cringe!
But that's the way all safety control systems are nowadays.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(10-22-2019, 09:58 PM)DeLorean Wrote: I will always take a season pass off of your hands!

Great! I shall let you know if I end up going through with it! Smile

(10-22-2019, 10:13 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I enjoyed my 5 years at Lagoon. It was a great job. It didn't pay the best but the job skills and friends and a wife I found there are invaluable. The season pass is completely working the required shifts. I say go for it!
Excellent, thank you!

Finding a wife there...now that would be the dream. 

(10-23-2019, 08:40 PM)linearinduction Wrote: As "temporary staff," you won't be trained as an operator on any major coasters, and that is where the real insight it.

Ah! I see. 

Reality is often disappointing. 

I’m going to be starting a Udemy course on PLCs and control systems soon, so maybe that will help? But then again, why waste the training on a temporary staff member. Regardless, it’s good to know, so thank you for the insights. 

And I’d be fine with operating a minor attraction. It would still be valuable, I figure.

This is all very tentative. I’m still trying to organize my very disorganized life, so. I’m also about 45 minutes away from Lagoon so that could also make things a little tricky. But...experience in the industry sounds excellent.