2019-2020 Off-Season Discussion
(11-05-2019, 03:11 PM)linearinduction Wrote: First of all, who is this "they" you are talking about? Lagoon does not own the land that Z is talking about, and there is also talk of an Arena in this area as well. Why would the property owner build a parking structure for Lagoon to use when it benefits a private company that isn't them?  Lagoon owns over 260 Acres of Land, why would they need to expand across the freeway in the first place?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 To be cool! LOL!

In my latest NL Lagoon idea, I've explored this. I'll show off my ideas when the video is released.
[Image: a2a765f7757b7b989a73bfe9ca7b5196.png]

The Lost History of Saltair -- Coasters Connected -- No Limits
(11-04-2019, 11:28 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Except there's no need for Samurai to be put in storage, as evidenced by Screamer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Well they could also move the Samurai to the north side of Cannibal. If they ever move the entrance and expand the park to the west it would give them space for more rides. I think a wing coaster would be good in the area just west of the current entrance with the east-west midway going under it. I think the line and the entrance to it should be in the southeast corner on the north side of the Roller Coaster. I also think an east-west Sky Ride would be good and have it go through the wing coaster and have the east loading station be to the north of the north entrance to Pioneer Village.
(11-05-2019, 03:39 PM)A00967505 Wrote: If they ever move the entrance and expand the park to the west it would give them space for more rides.

To clarify- this is what was discussed previously in the thread and is part of an already-known plan.
(11-05-2019, 09:33 AM)Z Wrote: ...UDOT is already developing a plan for a pedestrian overpass, but I think it would be a better configuration to go beneath I-15....

I've always been curious:  with Farmington Bay so close, is the water table in the area there problematic for a subterranean tunnel?  Obviously it's not insurmountable with proper engineering (looking at you, World Trade Center bathtub), but just always wondered what the ground under I-15 in that area was actually like, and whether it made that tunnel prohibitively expensive vs. a pedestrian bridge?
(11-05-2019, 11:01 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: I've always been curious:  with Farmington Bay so close, is the water table in the area there problematic for a subterranean tunnel?  Obviously it's not insurmountable with proper engineering (looking at you, World Trade Center bathtub), but just always wondered what the ground under I-15 in that area was actually like, and whether it made that tunnel prohibitively expensive vs. a pedestrian bridge?
From what I've heard the land in that area is basically a "swamp". Case in point the depth and number of piles that had to be used for Cannibal and Primordial  (does anyone know if piles had to be driven for Rocket?). I'm sure the water table could be a problem for any subterranean tunnel in that area coupled with the shear amount of concentrated hard surface in that area.
(11-06-2019, 03:15 AM)crooks.mark Wrote: From what I've heard the land in that area is basically a "swamp". Case in point the depth and number of piles that had to be used for Cannibal and Primordial  (does anyone know if piles had to be driven for Rocket?). I'm sure the water table could be a problem for any subterranean tunnel in that area coupled with the shear amount of concentrated hard surface in that area.

I'm not sure if piles were used for Rocket I would assume yes but I was told once that the bottom of the Rocket Tower structure goes 14 feet down into the ground.

You are correct Lagoon was all swamp land that Simon Bamberger paid 12,000 dollars for. He dug it out it collect all the water for the Lagoon Lake or the "lagoon" technically. So ground water is always a problem for Lagoon. Heck I've seen the park flood in a hard rain storm with trash cans floating down the midway. I operated Flying Aces once in a storm like that and the rides motor was under water!

(11-06-2019, 03:15 AM)crooks.mark Wrote: From what I've heard the land in that area is basically a "swamp". Case in point the depth and number of piles that had to be used for Cannibal and Primordial  (does anyone know if piles had to be driven for Rocket?). I'm sure the water table could be a problem for any subterranean tunnel in that area coupled with the shear amount of concentrated hard surface in that area.

Depth to groundwater is not necessarily a problem. They would have an issue with drainage for a tunnel, since the storm sewer (and sanitary sewer) in the area can't get too deep, but the bigger issue in the area is collapsible soils, which lead to the need for interesting foundations. There is a tunnel in the roadway on the north end of the Lagoon Trail, which isn't a problem for drainage, groundwater or collapsible soils.

The bigger issue for a tunnel is that it would be constructed beneath two separate major highways and active rail lines. The rail lines are the biggest problem, since Union Pacific doesn't allow anyone to cross beneath their lines and are a major pain to deal with for any type of construction. If you even get caught walking across a railway, they will threaten to arrest you if they see you. They have special legislation that makes them immune to most condemnation actions as well, so you couldn't claim that you were doing something for the public good and get a sympathetic local government to help you.

Piles are very useful for shrinking up foundations, but conventional foundations can also generally be used as long as you can spread the load enough to prevent the foundation from loading up beyond the bearing pressure of the soil.

As a sidenote, there was a whistle blower that came forward indicating the foundations for the bridges built for Legacy Highway are inadequate and that the bridges are in jeopardy of collapse. The area will be highly scrutinized in the future.

-Z
(11-06-2019, 09:08 PM)Z Wrote: As a sidenote, there was a whistle blower that came forward indicating the foundations for the bridges built for Legacy Highway are inadequate and that the bridges are in jeopardy of collapse. The area will be highly scrutinized in the future.

-Z
That's funny cause didn't they just increase the speed on legacy and also start allowing trucks on it?
(11-06-2019, 10:38 PM)DeLorean Wrote: That's funny cause didn't they just increase the speed on legacy and also start allowing trucks on it?
On Jan 1 2020. I like the increase in speed but disagree with the trucks.

A gondola could be constructed without even touching the road or the tracks.
Twirling Ribbons