IAAPA 2019
(11-24-2019, 02:19 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I know they have in the past as Kontiki was the floor model from the tradeshow. I would be dumb for them to not attend. I do know Silverwood does as they post about their attendance on their social media accounts.
I could've sworn I saw Julie Freed in one of the videos I was watching! Wink
I can't for the life of me figure out the supposed advantage of this riveted box over the welded box, unless they are trying to circumvent a patent. Rivets are much more susceptible to failure than welds and are generally more expensive to install, which is why you don't see much riveting on buildings anymore. I wouldn't trust something like this if I owned a coaster. You can always complete after the fact x-ray inspections of welds, but the only indication you have of a rivet failure is when it releases or stretches.

-Z
(11-26-2019, 11:54 AM)Z Wrote: I can't for the life of me figure out the supposed advantage of this riveted box over the welded box, unless they are trying to circumvent a patent. Rivets are much more susceptible to failure than welds and are generally more expensive to install, which is why you don't see much riveting on buildings anymore. I wouldn't trust something like this if I owned a coaster. You can always complete after the fact x-ray inspections of welds, but the only indication you have of a rivet failure is when it releases or stretches.

-Z

I feel the same way towards the riveted track. It will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere. The owner of Fun Spot did say that they will be helping GCI with testing of the system by switching sections of their GCI White Lightening coaster out for this system to see how it holds up.
[Image: a2a765f7757b7b989a73bfe9ca7b5196.png]

The Lost History of Saltair -- Coasters Connected -- No Limits